Probably the most popular holiday destination for South Africans – and why not, just a short 4 hour flight you can laze on white beaches, float in a warm tropic ocean with Al-la-Cocktail-in-hand…
Well hello Mauritius!
This lush and green tropic paradise offers great year round weather. There are no real differences in seasons and no well-defined wet or dry seasons. We enjoyed warm days with some rain and cool nights on our recent trip. Sea temperatures ranges from 26 – 29 degrees in Summer to 23 – 25 degrees in Winter. The warmest sea temperatures you will find beginning of February and the lowest during August.
Mauritius is surrounded by more than 150 km of white beaches with volcanic mountain backdrops.. The turquoise lagoons are protected from the open sea by coral reefs. Mauritius has the third largest coral reef in the world! Due to the high tourist demand the coral reeves unfortunately suffered some damage.
Mauritius is a mere 75km from the North to the South and about 55km from East to West, but don’t let this fool you as these spaghetti roads are narrow and may take a few twists and turns before you reach your location! It took us an average of 2 hours to get from the north to the south of the island.
So where do I stay? In Mauritius they say “West in Best” and with an endless list of luxury resorts, bed and breakfasts or self catering villas, there is something for every budget. In the North you will find Grand Baie – this is the place to be if you want some nightlife fun. Numerous clubs, bars, lounges and markets fills the strip and it is a great place to meet some locals.
So where are the most beautiful beaches in Mauritius?
The most popular ones amongst tourists are Trou aux Biches, shaded by casuarinas, and the long curvy beach of Mont Choisy which continues from Pointe aux Canonniers to Grand Bay and to the divine Pereybere public beach.
So what can I do in Mauritius besides sipping on Pina Coladas and soaking my body in warm salty water?
Here are just a few fun things and excursions:
- Excursions to the Northern islets – a small group of islands, popular amongst divers, snorkel the crystal waters of Gunner’s Coin, swim and enjoy a picnic around Flat Island and Gabriel Island
- Diving – The North has the most beautiful dive sites!
- Kite Surfing
- Shopping – Head over to Pamplemousses (a renowned manufacturer of ship models and memorabilia related to sailing ships) for some souveneur shopping, here you will find an assortment of handicraft items, gift boxes, local fashion products, ship and aircraft models, paintings and jewellery. Goodlands Market is a huge village of 14,000 inhabitants which comes to life on a Tuesday and Friday because of the fabric and fashion (ready to wear, printed cotton, saris)
- The Maheswarnath Mandir of Triolet – this is where you will find the biggest Hindu temple – Maheswarnath Mandir.
- Plentiful watersports,
- World class spas,
- Top-flight golf courses
- Quad biking,
- Horse riding.
- Visit the Pamplemousses garden this is known by botanists from around the world for the large collection of indigenous and exotic plants that grow there, including the giant Victoria Amazonica water lilies and the numerous species of palm trees.
- Go climb Pieter Both – the second highest mountain of Mauritius at 820 metres tall. The notable feature of this mountain is the gigantic rock formation at the very top of it, which resembles a human head.
- Catamaran cruises,
- Swim with the dolphins
- Walk with Lions at Casela nature park
- Submarine cruises
Do South Africans need a visa? No
What is the currency? Rupee, which is currently trading at 4.84 for R1.
When is the best month to visit Mauritius? All Year!
The “all-inclusive” packages is a great option for families..
This is your chance at winning an all inclusive package worth R80 000 to paradise!
So what do you need to do?
How to win:
Show how you are surviving the South African winter using the hashtag #RatherbeinMauritius and you and a guest could be whisked away to Mauritius the land of the endless summer.
Get creative with your SAD, FUNNY and RIDICULOUSLY COLD winter survival photos and post it to your channel of choice: Instagram, Facebook and/or Twitter.
Don’t forget to follow & tag @MauritiusZA & use #RatherbeinMauritius
Competition closes July 24th. T&C’s Apply.
- 5 nights accommodation for 2 adults sharing at the LUX* Belle Mare, a 5 star deluxe luxury hotel, shining with the vibrant energy and hospitality of authentic island life.
- Breakfast and dinner daily.
- Free W-Fi.
- Free Unlimited waterskiing.
- LUX* Reasons to Go.